Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rachel Getting Married

Tonight I was fortunate enough to get press spots to Rachel Getting Married, Jonathan Demme's new film starring Anne Hathaway. I've been dying to see it for ages, especially since this summer offered up little else to me cinematically than pure chick flick fluff (Sex and the City) and lots of over the top frat boy esque comedies (Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder). But nowhere this summer did I find means to satisfy my indie drama craving, hence my anticipation for Rachel Getting Married. The film was shot primarily with loosely staged scenes, so there's a strong sense of naturalism in the cast's interactions. Hathaway was wonderfully intense as Kym, with somehow not being over the top. I think she really has a larger range as an actress than she's shown thus far (albeit her supporting role in Broke Back Mountain.) I identified a lot with Kym as the recovering addict who just can't pull it all together.



I felt teary eyed and affected by the film and wandered around the artificial austereness of the east side of midtown while listening to Ipod letting everything wash over me. It's been awhile since a film has had the strength to affect me personally.

No comments: